About this fondue recipe:
This caramel fondue recipe is the perfect desert for family and friends. Have fun dipping a variety of foods into this creamy desert fondue, like sliced apples or fresh melon. It also goes great with popcorn. For more of an adult kick, add more rum.
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon rum (spiced rum is recommended)
1/4 stick of unsalted butter
3 egg yolks, whisked
1 cup milk, warmed
1/4 cup boiling water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Sliced apples, bananas for serving
Popcorn, for serving
Pound cake, brownies, cubed for serving
1. In a small pan, add sugar and heat over medium until sugar liquefies, stirring often. Set aside.
2. Stir cornstarch together with rum in a small bowl. If not using rum, substitute for 1 tbs water. Set aside.
3. In a double boiler over hot water, combine reserved rum mixture with milk, butter and egg yolks. Keep stirring until thickened.
4. In a small pot, combine melted sugar and boiling water. Stir then add to double boiler mixture; stir over low heat until caramel is melted, about 20-30 minutes.
5. Remove mixture from double boiler. Stir in vanilla extract, and possibly a shot of spiced rum. Transfer to a fondue pot over low heat.
Serve with sliced apples, bananas, brownies, pineapple and popcorn; or anything else you desire.
"Bananas were my families' favorite dipper followed by apples. We didn't try it with pineapples, but it would probably be awesome. We also dipped marshmellows, but thought it was too sweet."